We are a qualifying employer for the federal Public Service Loan Forgiveness program. Learn more here.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Process and bill Medicare, Medicaid, private payer and private insurance companies in accordance with payer requirements and Agency’s policy.
- Monitors accounts receivables, resubmits bills to overdue accounts, and alerts the Health Information Manager of seriously overdue accounts.
- Post all payments, adjustments, and denials from third party payer paper or electronic remittances.
- Follow up on payer denials, research the patient’s record and initial codes and modifiers selected for accuracy. Take needed actions to ensure payment of the outstanding claims. When insurance has made all payments due from them, to the extent that a patient balance remains, ensure that patients are billed, as appropriate.
- Research and resolve patient billing problems or issues. Bring issues to logical conclusions and inform patients or management of specifics as appropriate to each individual situation.
- Provide excellent customer service to patients by telephone and in writing, always remembering that patients are our customers who must be treated with dignity and respect.
- Work directly with patients to resolve questions related to billing process.
- Assists in the preparation of monthly billing and accounts receivable reports.
- Establishes and maintains positive working relationships with patients, payers, and other customers.
- Attend meetings and trainings at the request.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
High School Diploma or Equivalent required.
Associates Degree in Healthcare Administration, Business or related field or equivalent work experience preferred.
- One or more years of experience in customer service.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software.
- Ability to handle cash and to count money at high volumes including mathematical computations.
- Ability to work well with individuals of diverse socioeconomic, cultural and intellectual backgrounds.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Able to exhibit a high level of confidentiality.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Proactive and independent with the ability to take initiative.
- One year of billing experience preferred.
- Ability to read and understand EOB’s from insurance carriers.
- Knowledge of basic medical terminology and insurance billing preferred.
- Previous experience working in a hospital, clinic or physician’s office preferred.
- Bi-lingual preferred.